Monday, July 25, 2011

The Beginning of a New Chapter

Well, we officially started a new chapter in our lives today.  Our sweet Ella started Kindergarten.  Where has the time gone?  It seems just like yesterday that she looked like this: 



Look at those chubby cheeks and arms!

But today she looks like this:


All ready for her first day!

She was so excited to start school that I didn't even have to wake her up.  She came in the bathroom while I was taking a shower and said, "I'm up and ready to go to school!"  If you know my child at all, this is a big deal.  She loves to sleep late, and I just knew I was gonna have to drag her out of bed.  Not today!!

She picked out her own clothes and shoes and got ready really quick.  Of course, we had to get a few pictures of her on her special day before we took off.



Ella loving on Brayden (Side note: See the cat that has taken up residence at our house.  FYI- I don't care for cats, but evidently it really likes us.)

Daddy and his little girl.  (Another side note- we heard Steven Curtis Chapman's song "I danced with Cinderella" on the way home from school.  Not a good song to hear on the first day of K.)


My little girl :)
I'm not gonna lie- this was a very emotional day for me, for all of us really.  The first day of Kindergarten is hard anyway, but even harder when you know nothing about the school, teacher, etc.  However, we were confident that the school that she is going to in Chandler (not going to say the name because there are weirdos out there) is the one she should be attending, so we knew it would be ok. 

We pulled up to the parking lot this morning and there were kids everywhere.  A majority of the kids walk to school because it is so close to the neighborhood that they live in.  We were a little overwhelmed.  Ella immediately got out of the van ready to go.




We found her classroom and met her teacher, Mrs. Willman.  She was super nice (as most K teachers are) and showed Ella where she could sit.


I did really well holding my emotions in until we got back to the van and then the flood gates opened.  I gained control and did pretty good throughout the remainder of the day (just a couple of sniffles here and there).

It was just a weird day.  It felt weird eating lunch and not making her plate.  It was weird to not hear any fighting or arguing over toys.  I actually missed it.  Brayden missed her too.  Although I will say, he was extremely well behaved today.  He played quietly in his room several times.  He was so quiet I had to go look for him to make sure he was ok :)

When the clock said 2:30, I was ready to go pick her up.  We waited in the parent pick up line forever (realizing it is the first day) it seemed.  Finally, it was our turn.  She was excited to see us.  Her teacher said she had a really good first day.  No tears ever.  She said she was very well behaved.  

We asked her a million questions on the way home.  Who did she sit by?  Did she make new friends?  What did she have for lunch?  Did they play on the playground? Etc.  She was most excited that she made 2 new friends.  She was also excited that there was a boy in her class named Brayden, one named Aiden (cousin's name) and someone named Bailey (her friend from KY).  She liked recess and snack time.  (She is my child haha)  She said it was a really good day.

So, we made it through the first day.  I think better than expected.  Although I'm sad that my baby is growing up, I'm looking forward to the new chapter that we are beginning.  One that hopefully involves her growing into a beautiful, young lady and child of God!!





 
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment